Monday, May 17, 2010

Ruth.

Every time I think of you, I always catch my breath.

Lauren Ruth Brown.
Named after one of the funniest, sweetest, cutest, most clever yet stubborn ladies I know.
Ruth Jolley, my mom's mom passed away today, laying next to my dad. She was a real gem and probably one of the most entertaining human beings I've ever had the pleasure of being around. Although she didn't used to be tooooo fond of me, we were able to become really great friends over the past year when she lived in Provo.
Some of our funniest family stories came from this little wonderball, so let me just re-cap some of the greatest ones.

A couple years before my birth:
My parents got in a slight argument while my grandma was staying at our house. My mom proceeded to lock her bedroom door for a little time alone. Ruth was convinced that my mother was inside her bedroom "committing suicide" or something crazy like that. After a couple knocks on the door with no response- she and her 100 lb. frame took a couple steps back, started bookin it, and ran straight through the door! Was the door made of metal? No, but it certainly wasn't made of paper either. She always knew how to get her way, even if it meant going through a roadblock. Literally.

When I was 4, and just a little wild:
My grandma flew out to Utah from Mississippi to stay with us for a couple weeks. Although I claim otherwise- apparently I wasn't the nicest kid on the block. Or the easiest to deal with.. On one of the nights she was there, she offered to babysitt us kids while my parents went to dinner. My parents tried to warn her, but she was convinced she could manage me for a couple hours. As soon as they left, I found my best hiding spot and decided not to come out. She called my name for hours and hours looking frantically all over. When she finally found me, and scolded me, I looked at her and told her to "leave me alone- you aren't my boss". And that was that. She packed up her things, called a taxi, and took off to the airport for a week early departure. She wasn't too fond of my attitude apparently.

In the past year:
I took grams to get some groceries at Albertsons in Provo (one of the most memorable experiences I have with her might I add). As we walked around the store, she had a comment for almost eeeeeverything we passed. It took us at least an hour to get a couple cokes, dish-soap, and a treat. Taking her down the magazine aisle was a bad choice on my part. Being an older woman from the south, you can understand why she might be a little racist.. It was right around the time when Barack Obama was elected president, so of course, all of the magazines had his face on them. I knew she would cause a scene if a black man's face and the word "President" on the front of a magazine registered. So I hurried her through the isle trying to shield her view. Attempt: failed. Miserably. She stopped walking, picked up a magazine and said "A black president?!? We are in AMERICA people! This is an outrage. Is this a joke, Lauren?" As I tried to calmly grab the magazine from her hand and heard her away, she ripped it back and said, "Answer me! Is this a joke?" Sadly, I had to explain to her that it was no joke while everyone around us watched in humor. Definitely embarrassed at the moment, but dont worry- I laughed all the way back home. She's a wise woman. No "change" has happened yet.

Over my dating years:
I've brought multiple guys that I've dated over to meet grams. A) Because she is more entertaining than any date I've ever been on. B) She makes them feel good about themselves. C) She is who I'll be in 60+ years, so I have to see if that is something they'd want..
I can't even begin to tell you some of the things this lady has said to the guys I've dated. I had a black boyfriend once. That was an interesting experience. I was pretty scared to take him into her house, because I thought she might possibly use the "n" word or tell him to start mopping the floor if "he was just gonna stand there". But to my surprise, when she first saw him she said, "How did you snag this one Lauren? He's too cute for you is all I gotta say.." Hahaha. Uhh.. thanks gram?
Also once I brought a guy that I really liked at the time over and about ten minutes into the convo she proceeded to tell him that "I bring a new guy over at least every 2 weeks." and "not to worry, you'll be a goner in no time." Guess she wasn't too fond of him.

So here's to you Gram, you're an absolutely wonderful woman. You raised a good daughter who is raising her daughter in the exact ways that you did. I hope that I work as hard you did. I hope that people get a kick out of me in my old age too. I hope that you forgive me for being such a mean little bugger when I was young. I hope that you remember all of our great conversations about "classy men". I hope that you know I have always loved you. I can't wait to be with you again. I really wish my husband would've been able to meet you. Take care of my kiddos up there in heaven alright? Teach them what I can't. I'll be seein you..

4 comments:

  1. i love you laur. this was wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a lucky girl - to be named after the greatest grandma ever :) This was a sweet post and a fitting tribute to your name-sake. I loved the pictures of you with her - wish I had more of those. Kallee was sitting on my lap while I looked at these and kept saying "oooohhh, Lauren and Gamma Wuth!"

    P.S. - cute blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lauren this was the best blog ever!!! I love ruth!!! she really is the funniest lady ever!!! My favorite part was the end. especially when you say "take care of my kiddos, teach them what i can't" that brought a little tear to my eye. That is the sweetest thing I've ever heard. I bet she's having the time of her life with your kids up there laur!!! How exciting!!! She gets to meet them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lauren, I peed my pants! I can totally seeing you being the worst child! Cute Grandma.

    Whitney Jill Lucking

    ReplyDelete


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones