Thursday, May 13, 2010

Productivity begets happiness.

So, remember my very first post when I said "I'd be up to speed in no time"? Well, its been time. And I'm not up to it yet.
But the truth of it all is that I thought I'd have lots of extra time when I finished up my freshman year and moved back in with my parents for the summer. Boy was I ra-ha-ha-honngg. Going to school at two different school three days a week is kickin my little butt (well.. it's not exactly little but that's another story). Spending 10 hours a week commuting to Ogden and Kaysville is a lot of time to spend alone. But I must admit that I've loved almost every minute of it. Whether I was falling asleep at the wheel or rear-ending my friend Nicoles car- I've had lots of time to just think. Think about school. Think about my week. Think about my cute friends. Think about boys. Think about my current family. Think about my future family. How pretty it is outside, how I forgot to turn off my straightener, how I just want to be sleeping, how I love summer time, and how excited I am for the next couple years. But on that note, I also think about how wonderful my present life is.
I got so lucky with my job opportunity this summer (the main reason in which I chose to commute 10 hours a week) at a hospital/clinic. It's only been one week, but has already made my appreciation for life so much deeper. I've never realized how fragile life is. Maybe because I've never had anyone super close to me get really sick or die in a freak accident. But those stories are out there- and they're everywhere dang it!
It's been so fun to help Dr. Sisneros with things I never thought I'd be able to. Shots, surgeries, breathing treatments, and just down-right oober sick people. I am completely in love with the major I chose. Maybe too in love.
Two days ago at work a lady came in who had sliced her hand REAL bad. So we went into the back to sew her up. She was about fourty years old, funny as ever, and scared. to. death. She was shaking, on the verge of tears, trying so hard not to throw up. Seeing her so scared- just made me want to take care of her like she was my own mother or something. I instantly ran over behind her and held her. I didn't even think twice about it. I was getting scared because she was so scared! I cringed when she cringed, held my breath when she held her breath, and I almost felt like crying at the end out of happiness that it was over! I'm sure Dr. Sisneros thinks I'm such a noob. But she appreciated it. Although I'm sure it was completely unprofessional.

Onto life. I've never been busier, but I've never felt so productive and effecient. I feel like I have something big to work towards. And it feels so good. Productivity really does bring happiness. And a different kind of happiness, might I add. Thank goodness for the power of perspective.

1 comment:

  1. Laur, let me tell you how jealous this makes me. because honestly, I've never been more unproductive in my life. I feel so idle and worthless lately because I don't have a job! This sounds so wonderful. I love you.

    ReplyDelete


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones