Monday, June 28, 2010

Got RESOLVE?

Last night when I was skyping with one of my wonderful friends Justin he asked me, "how much resolve do you think you have?" Let me just say this first, Justin is in dental school at UCLA, so of course I don't want to make myself look like a fool in front of him. Not having ANY IDEA what "resolve" was, I answered, "I think I have a pretty normal amount". I'm sure he could tell that I was making that up, so he proceeded to tell me exactly what resolve was, and that he'd been working on having more of it. So for all of you fellow, young, freshly graduated freshman year of college kiddies, who might not know what RESOLVE means, let me tell ya.

Resolve is following through with the things you say you'll do. Resolve is making goals and working hard until you accomplish them. Let me give you a couple examples that many of you will be able to relate with: Staying on diets until you actually lose the amount of weight that you wanted to from the beginning. Having a 4.0 your entire college career. Providing service for others. Studying for at least an hour every day. Learning how to cook at least one new meal every couple weeks for your family. Start training for a marathon. Building a shed in the backyard by the end of the summer. Getting into medical school. The list could go on forever..
But talk is cheap, and good intentions are only that- INTENTIONS.

How many times have you set a goal, and as soon as you screw it up, you completely give up on it? Having strong resolve means you push through the failures and get back on your original track. People with strong resolve are easier to trust, are more reliable, and are more successful.

So I really thought about what he told me. Am I person with a weak or strong resolve? I always find myself saying, "k, but no really- THIS time I'm gonna follow through with it". But I should never have to say that. I need to follow through with my goals the first time so I can learn from them, and move onto the next one in the book. I don't want to be working on the same goals throughout my entire life. I want to progress instead of being stuck in the same relative stage.

Besides that, how useless do you feel every time you leave a desire undone. And there's no one to blame besides yourself. And how much do you dread starting over on something that you were, at one point, half-way done with?

So starting today, I am going to start working on my resolve. And that in itself, is a goal. A goal that I want to come out on top of.

D&C 58: 27 "Verily I say men should be anxiously engaged in a good cause, and do many things of their own free will, and bring to pass much righteousness".

3 comments:

  1. this made me extremely happy.
    i just love you.
    youre working on your recipe to finding you-know-what...and i couldnt be more excited for you! and hells yeah, i need to work on my resolve so i can lose that 10 pounds ive been trying to lose for the past 5 years! so glad youre my best.

    (also, i love your banner header thing. freaking cutie.)

    ps omg 'to make you feel my love' has been on repeat on my itunes. of course we are best friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. why do you write about the best, deepest things? I just love this. I feel so inspired. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Resolve: Something you will be working on for the rest of your life! I tell ya, it is not easy, and I still struggle with it. For example, lately I have been realizing more in life that I am "more talk" than anything. I have SO many things that I do not follow through on. I am a very dependable person for others, but when it comes to my own personal life, I do not accomplish those goals like I say I will. This last weekend, there was a bike race that I was planning on riding in, so I began riding and riding. The day before the race, I just did not feel ready, and I bailed and gave up. I had been planning for this race for over a month! And I gave up. To work on "resolve" it requires a mental dedication, that I am still working on as a 23 year old. Just like when it comes to reading your scriptures everyday. You have to remember that great feeling and remember how much more blessed you are in life if you set those goals and do what you are supposed to do in life.

    Lauren, I wish we could have spent time together in Logan. I glad we met even though I was never up there since you have been. You are awesome. Thanks for this awesome post.

    ReplyDelete


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones